In the Spring of 1855 prominent Chicago Surgeon and real estate prospector Dr. Philip Maxwell started construction of a large, handsome summer dwelling in Lake Geneva on land he had acquired years earlier, which at the time was “lakefront” property.
The estate was named “The Oaks” in honor of the centuries-old trees surrounding the mansion.
In 2012 Bethany & Andrew of Lake Geneva’s Baker House 1885, adopted the home from its prior and began to put their creative twist on things. This became a detailed three year renovation project which included acquiring the adjacent land and buildings, which were originally part of the five acre 1856 Maxwell Estate. The completed boutique resort compound now encompasses three acres of gardens, lounges, outdoor fireplaces, a heated pool, croquet and bocce ball amusement and 30 luxury hotel rooms steeped in history and renewed with dramatic Gilded Age grander.